Thursday, March 11, 2010

New lens

After taking the photography class (can you tell how influential this was by how many blog posts I've written about it?), I realised that it was time to step up my game a little bit and I started looking at lenses. Learning how important a low aperture can be for portrait photography, as it increases depth of field and creates more blurriness behind the subject, I started looking into a lens that would have a low aperture. The lower the aperture, the larger the opening and the more light can come through, which means you can take photos easier at low light without a flash. I was pleased to find one with an aperture of 1.8, whereas my current one only went down to 4.5.

I was even more pleased to find a reasonably priced lens, as I definitely didn't have money to invest into anything pricey. After researching reviews, we decided to sell our point-and-shoot Nikon in order to pay for the lens. A week later, the camera was sold and the lens was on its way!

I am now the proud owner of a DT 1.8f 50mm SAM lens. John and I went to the park over the weekend and I grabbed the camera so I could test it out in natural lighting. We had fun with the lens and here are some of the photos from our walk:





5 comments:

  1. Anonymous15:45

    Very cool! I love outdoor photos!

    -Megan Stempel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous17:57

    nice pics. you guys look great. Am happy for you and your new lens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your are an amazing photographer Marie, and I love the new looks with the lens too.. this is beth by the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those lens, I wanted them for a long time!!
    Do I see a bit of a tiny belly there?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome :). I've been learning a bit about low aperture this semester, too. I can get a 1.5 lens from the Art+Design dept, and also Canon Mark II cameras... but I haven't yet. :) I should, and play around with stuffs.

    Those are really lovely pictures. I especially love the first one! It's so John-y, and the DOF is gorgeous!

    and just a hint of baby bump, yay! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers