Monday, February 15, 2010

Studio Shoot

In my photography class last week, we also got to do studio shoots where we used softbox lighting to illuminate our subject. Having taken no photography education whatsoever, this was all completely new to me and also very enlightening! Though I am a bigger fan of the more natural, outdoor shoots, I enjoyed the fact that this completely controlled the amount of light you needed for the shoot.

Having booked my first wedding shoot this summer, I thought about an idea I had seen from a friend. He had been to a wedding where they had set up a studio shoot for all the guests. They had empty frames that they used as props and they made a really fun addition to the usual guest wedding photography. It gave me an idea to try something similar to this for the wedding this summer. However, softboxes can run as low as $300, if you want a good one, to as much as $1000 for a really amazing one. Since I am so new in this photography business, I can't even fork out $300. However, I do have an ingenious husband and the internet!

Almost right away, I discovered online multiple sites with step-by-steps and pictures on how to build your own softbox for as little as $50. We are going to look into this option to see if it's even feasible, with the current equipment I have, but I am excited to potentially have a studio set-up available if I need it!

Here are my favourite pictures of the shoot (Kira Armstrong, daughter of Heather Armstrong, who teaches our class):








5 comments:

  1. rachael08:07

    Those are great photos Marie! You are really getting good! Its so fun to see the progress! We have the one that you took of us on top of the slide this summer on our mantle. I love it and we have gotten so many compliments on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rach! It was fun - i'm really enjoying this class and putting what I'm learning into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures, Marie! So fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really great Marie! I love photography and will like to get better at it! Specially to capture Lemmy in better shots! You will go NUTS with your little one!! I can't get enough of him, I need to capture everything!! I will for sure follow your blog! Im pretty new with mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vero - good to see you on my blog! What is yours?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers